if you want a dessert that will make people ooh and aah, a galette is the way to go. if you want to be snooty, you’ll call it a french galette. if you want to be all-american, you can call it a rustic pie. either way, it is delicious and ridiculously simple.
so there’s two ways to go about this. you can make the dough yourself or if you’re pressed for time, you can grab some frozen pie crust from your grocery’s frozen food section. i won’t judge. i’ve tried both. lets go over what we’ll need, shall we? we’re going to need some strawberries (duh), peaches (duh), pie dough (recipe below for homemade. frozen will do fine), cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and lemon juice.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 2 large peaches, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water (for egg wash)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. using a pastry cutter. two knives, or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas. add the water and mix with a fork just until the dough pulls together.
- transfer the dough to a floured work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk. Lift the dough and give it a quarter turn. lightly dust the top of the dough or the rolling pin with flour as needed, then roll out into a round at least 12 inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- in a medium sized bowl, combine the peach and strawberry slices, lime juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. stir gently to combine.
- top the dough with the almond flour, leaving 2 inches clear around the edge. add the peach and strawberry mixture, either in a swirl pattern, or just heaped in a single layer, again leaving 2 inches clear.
- wrap the edge of the dough up and over the strawberry peach mixture, then whisk together the egg and water in a small dish and use it to wash the edge of the dough. sprinkle with sugar, then bake for 30 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown. allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.